As Party Season comes into its own, we must be permitted to be a bit naughty as chocolate is the food of love, and we LOVE chocolate.
Here is a recipe for the most rich, moist chocolate you have ever tried.
Be naughty & enjoy hot or cold.
- 1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (sunflower or vegetable)
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup skimmed milk
- 3/4 cup instant coffee
- 1 250-ml Double cream
- 250-grams dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 175°C (165°C fan)
- Grease or line an 8-inch round cake pan
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Add oil, egg, vanilla and milk to the flour mixture and beat well to combine
- Add the coffee and mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes, until a rounded knife inserted in the centre of the chocolate cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Transfer cake to a wire rack and cool completely before frosting.
- Pour the cream into a small saucepan and heat over low heat for a few minutes. Watch that it doesn't boil.
- Once the cream is hot take the saucepan off the heat. Add in the dark chocolate.
- stir with a spatula until smooth, creamy and glossy.
- Refrigerate for one hour or hour until thickened
- Spread over the cake.
- Serve with Clotted cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.