This Risotto is a great family favourite I always cook for my wife and four girls. Yes I am completely outnumbered – but this is such a winner and keeps me in their good books for at least a day.!!
Try it for your loved ones and make sure you add the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese – it really enhances the flavour and makes it a bit special.
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 finely chopped onion
- small glove minced garlic
- 1 cup uncooked Risotto rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- freshly ground black pepper
- Begin by pouring the stock into a saucepan over medium to low heat and let it simmer.
- Melt butter in a pan on medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Next, add the risotto and cook for 1 minute.
- Then add 1/2 cup wine and continue to stir while cooking for another 2 minutes or until wine has absorbed.
- After the wine has absorbed, stir in 1/2 cup of the stock and continue to stir until the liquid has absorbed.
- Keep adding 1/2 cup stock at a time, continuing to stir until absorbed.
- Heat the oil in another pan over medium heat and add shiitake mushrooms.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes and add in the 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Add the peas into the risotto followed by the mushrooms & thyme
- Add salt and pepper to taste and add 1/2 cup of the Parmigiano-Reggiano to the mix.
- Mix all ingredients well and spoon portions onto a plate.
- Top with remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and serve.
- Why not try topped with a poached egg for an extra twist.
Find more information about Parmigiano-Reggiano at https://www.parmigianoreggiano.com/