Crispy Egg & Parmesan Breakfast Buns
Easter is fast approaching – the festive period where eggs are being served up in abundance. In case your Easter weekend is still in need of the perfect breakfast food to kick off the celebrations with, try these quick and easy Egg & Parmesan Breakfast Buns. Crunchy on the outside, warm and gooey within, these special bakes are not only quick and effortless to prepare but also incredibly tasty thanks to the sharp and nutty flavour from the Parmesan and the saltiness from the cured ham. Let the celebrations begin!
Ingredients:For 4 Buns
4 bread rolls
4 tsp. crème fraiche
4 slices Parma ham or similar
4 small eggs
70 – 100g Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated
Bunch fresh chives (alternatively parsley)
Black pepper to season
What you’ll need:
Baking tray with non-stick baking foil
Large bread knife
Sharp small knife
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan, middle-rack)
- Use a bread knife to cut the tops off the bread rolls, but make sure not to cut too low as there needs to be enough space for the egg without risking spillage.
- Scoop out the centre. Use a small sharp knife to cut around the edges before scooping out the centre.
- Fill each bread roll with a slice of cured ham, a teaspoon of crème fraiche and a raw egg. Then sprinkle some cracked black pepper on top, fresh chives (I use scissors to cut them) and a handful of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Put the top back on each roll and sprinkle some more Parmesan on top.
- Place the filled Breakfast Buns on a baking tray that has been lined with non-stick baking paper. Take some extra baking paper or aluminium foil to cover the buns as they would burn too easily if left uncovered.
- Bake in the oven for 10-20 minutes (depending on how runny the egg yolk should be). Check frequently to avoid burning of the buns but also whether the egg is set.
- As soon as the egg is cooked, remove from oven and serve immediately.
(Credit to: Castelli/Parmigiano for these beautiful recipes)