These oven-roasted sweet potato wedges served with a generous amount of fresh, home-made basil mayonnaise are the perfect comfort food. It is creaminess topped with more creaminess – and truly bursting with flavor! The tangy basil as well as the umami parmigiano reggiano adds extra character to the savoury condiment, making it even more delectable. Making a home-made mayonnaise seems a daunting task, but is actually very simple and quick to whip up. This silky basil and parmesan mayonnaise is an irresistible dip and can be combined with a wide variety of dishes. Why not use it as a sandwich spread or, instead of tartar sauce, to complement a fish course?
Sweet Potato Wedges with Parmigiano Reggiano and Basil Mayonnaise
1. Prepare the sweet potato wedges. Scrub the sweet potatoes under running water, then remove any spots or dry edges from the skin. Cut them into chunks and place the wedges on a non-stick baking tray, rub the potato pieces with olive oil and sprinkle sea salt on top. Bake in the oven, middle rack, fan 180-200°C or gas mark 5, for about 45 minutes until soft.
2. Please note: Before preparing the mayonnaise, make sure that all the ingredients you´ll need have room temperature.
3. Take a mixing bowl, add the egg yolks to it along with mustard, lemon juice and a dash of salt and pepper. With a hand mixer, combine all ingredients well.
4. Take a herb chopper (small blender) and combine fresh basil, grated parmigiano reggiano and 50 ml extra virgin olive oil. Alternatively, use a stick blender and combine the ingredients in a high rimmed bowl. Blend the ingredients well. Set aside.
5. Take the hand mixer and whisk the egg-mustard mixture on middle speed while very slowly pouring the remaining 200 ml of extra virgin olive oil to the bowl. Make sure not to rush the procedure as the egg may curdle otherwise. With a steady speed, the mixture should become thick and smooth. Once the oil is used up, carefully add the basil and parmesan oil. Combine well.
6. Serve the mayonnaise immediately. If the sweet potato wedges are not ready once the mayonnaise is prepared, store it in a sterilized glass jar or a vacuum seal plastic tub in the fridge. Because the mayonnaise is made with raw eggs, it should not stay uncovered and outside the fridge for too long. It can go off very easily, so make sure to keep it cool and finish it off within 3 days.